Friday, July 2, 2010

What are we looking at?

So what am I going to blog about... hmmm, a couple of different things

Ok, I’m finally doing it. I’ve been known to get irritated with those who are studying media yet are not really practicing what they write about. I’m one of those people that thinks you really understand something once you step into the role yourself and try it out. So there ...if I think blogging is an important practice in learning -- than, I might as well try it out myself and see what I learn in the process.

I have a lot to say but usually its verbal communication and never felt like much of a writer, even though I’m doing it more than I use to and practice always helps ;-) Though I must admit, I’d rather be in a room with others conversing about many topics of interest... so, I’m going to assume that if you’re reading this -- you are in the room with me and we can start a conversation about something that interests us both.

So if you’re not sure if you’re in the right place or just not sure, since we are just getting to know each other... than, why don’t I tell you a little bit about me and what I most likely will share here in hopes to have conversations with you, and you and yea you too -- lurking in the back ;-)

For one, I’ll probably want to talk about media and learning. This is the research that I’m involved in at Project New Media Literacies but, as a mom -- it also is very predominant in my own life at home with my son.

I also am hoping this helps me get organized ...I have a stack of papers on my desk and this dream that one day I’ll have read them all and summarized them here. Not only will this be a personal accomplishment but I’m hoping that it can become a way for me to keep track of my references but also share them with you.

And then there’s personal projects I’m working on. My family arrived in California last week from the east coast so that I can finally not work out-of-state. For our trip out west, we took our son out of school early so that he could live history instead of just reading about it. We did the Americana Adventure starting with New York and the Statue of Liberty then down to Philadelphia for a NAMLE board meeting and a look at the Liberty Bell and US Constitution. We then headed west and drove Route 66 the whole way, exploring Americana through the relationship between underground sub-cultures and mainstream that surfaced first in the US. So, you’ll probably be hearing a lot about Sk8-66 project as we move into post-production and synthesizing all the great stories.

So, perhaps some of this interests you too and I want you to stay :-) Seymour Papert said that we use "objects to think with." Knowing that, I hope to share some pretty awesome “objects” and reflect on how we can use them in our own lives, put them into practice -- why not... after all, we all have something to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment